Sunday, October 6, 2019

Problematic Hands in Texas Hold'em - AK

Problematic Hands in Texas Hold'em - AK
The most enigmatic hands in Texas Hold`em: AK off suit; AQ off suit; JJ and TT.
When I first started playing poker few years ago, first thing that I have searched on the poker forums was "what hand costs you the most money?" Most of the people responded: A7; 97; KT and I was surprised because from my experience the hands that costs me the most money where AK, AQ, JJ, TT...
AK off suit - This is the most discussed hand in poker, many say that is on of the winning hands.
AK has numerous values:
- AK dominates many hands that players raise and bet with.
- AK has the high card A and can be dominated only by AA and KK
- If you hit the flop with one of the two, A or K you will have top pair, top kicker
- If you did not hit the flop you will always have a minimum of two over cards
Most players when they have AK in hand, they raise on preflop. On a 10 players table in early position this hand can make you lose lots of money. Even if you hit a A or a K on the  not be so sure that you will win! For example last night I was playing a $10 SNG. Second hand of the tournament. I have AK in middle position. I raise 3 blinds and I receive a re-raise from the SB. I call. On the flop T, K, 4. SB raise (hmm...strange I was thinking there is a donkey there). I re-raise then SB go all in and I call. Guess what? My opponent has deuces. What a looser I say. But no...because the last card was 2. Boom! I was out. Well there are many lucky donkeys. But what i want to say is: do not trust very much AK. Is a dangerous hand. Keep an eye on your position and on your opponents style of playing before you make a decision.
Let`s take a look again at AK's weaknesses: with 4 opponents or more your fold equity is almost 0. Even when you hit your hand will be weak, and raising just increases your opponents pot odds, making their postflop calls correct.